ARTISTIC DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Artistic Director is an independent contractor who is hired by and reports to the Board of Directors of the Claremont Chorale. In broad terms, the Artistic Director identifies the programmatic themes and concert budgets subject to approval of the Board of Directors, selects the specific repertoire, and prepares and leads the Chorale and other musicians in presenting concerts to the public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and conduct rehearsals and concerts for 60+ member auditioned volunteer adult chorale to ensure highest quality performances.
- Recommend, as necessary, additional sectional rehearsals and specific areas of repertoire that should be addressed in such sectional rehearsals.
- Attend monthly Board of Directors meetings to advise them of issues related to choral performance, preparation, and repertoire, and to keep abreast of issues that may affect the chorus.
- Meet with, chair, and provide guidance to Music Programming Committee in planning concert themes and associated budgets for the next two concert seasons, and present the program recommendations to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Select specific repertoire for each concert, working within organizational budget.
- When a concert will require instrumental, vocal, or other personnel not in the Chorale, advise the Board of Directors of expected costs at least six months prior to the concert.
- Recommend specific venues for each concert and coordinate contracting and stage arrangements with the venue and the Chorale’s House Manager.
- Conduct vocal auditions in accordance with Chorale guidelines.
- Provide direction on hiring accompanist, instrumentalists, soloists as needed.
- Provide a suitable replacement at your expense when unable to be present for any rehearsal or performance. The replacement must be at least as qualified as yourself with at least as much experience directing an adult community chorus.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Minimum three-years conducting experience required. Experience with conducting adults in a variety of genres is highly preferred.
- Must be an active member of at least one choral organization, e.g., ACDA, SCNA, CMEA.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, Master’s degree or higher preferred,
- Rehearsals are currently Monday evenings 7:30 – 9:45 p.m.
- Typically, rehearsals begin after Labor Day through the last concert of the season (late April or May) with no December rehearsals following the December concerts.
- Normally there are two performances in early December, one in mid-March, and one in May.
- Dress rehearsal held on Friday before each concert weekend. Concerts are usually performed on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
- One fundraising event per year, usually held in October or in conjunction with a concert.
- Board meetings are usually monthly and are two hours long; there are no Board meetings in December or July.
- The Music Planning Committee meets once per year in March or April and the meeting takes about three hours.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Rehearsal location has been Decker Hall at Pilgrim Place, Claremont, CA
- Performance venues are normally in Claremont or adjacent cities.
- Some select applicants will be:
- Interviewed by the Director Search Committee
- Asked to conduct 30 to 45 minutes of a rehearsal of the Claremont Chorale between January 1 and February 28, 2018.
- We anticipate making an offer in early April, and anticipate new Artistic Director will:
- work with the Music Planning Committee in April, 2018, to outline the concert themes for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons, and
- assist the Chorale in its search for an accompanist to work with the Artistic Director when rehearsals resume in September, 2018, and
- assume full responsibilities starting August 1, 2018.